The World English Scrabble Players Association Champion 2015-2017 and Mind Sports Ambassador, Mr Wellington Jighere invites all and sundry to his maiden Scrabble Classics. The Wellington Scrabble Classics is a precursor to the Akpabio Classics which is also a precursor to WESPAC Kenya.
Date: 8th - 10th September 2017
Venue: Option57 Hall and Suites, Abisogun Avenue, Akesan, Lagos.
Number of Categories: Three (3) categories namely: Masters (1400 rating points and above), Opens (1399 rating points and below) and Youth (Under 17).
Registration: 14th August and ends on 7th September 2017.
- Masters (rated 1400 and above): N6,000.
- Open (rated 1399 and below): N5,000.
- Youth (Under 17): N2,000
Players are to register for the tourney by paying their registration fees into the account provided below:
Account number: 0050704286 (Access Bank Plc) Account name: Wellington Jighere. After payment, players are to text their names and payment details to this number for confirmation: 08037339135
Number of games: 15 (fifteen)
Tournament Rules: WESPA rules version three with 10 points penalty for an unsuccessful challenge.
Time: 20 minutes per player.
Projected Star Prize: N200, 000 (two hundred thousand Naira only). It might be more pending on arrival of additional sponsorship.
Total Prize Pool: N750, 000 (seven hundred and fifty thousand Naira only). Might be more on arrival of additional sponsorship.
Pairing Software: TSH (Seun Oyeleke).
Name of Organizers: Wellington Jighere and Gen. Gold Eburu.
Contact Phone number: +2348037339135
The first Diaspora Invitational Scrabble tournament for Nigerians in Diaspora was held on the 22nd of April 2012 in U.K . The event was organized by the President of the Nigeria Scrabble Federation Toke Aka. The President emphasized the need for Nigeria Scrabble players in Diaspora to play regularly as a means of staying match fit and ready for International events. Nine (9) players were in attendance and competed in the NSF and ABSP rated tournament:
- Wale Fashina
- Azu Ogbogu
- Adekoyejo Adegbesan
- Olabatoke Aka
- Fidelis Bruce Olotu
- Clement Ikolo
- Olakunle Ajayi
- Abiodun Adeyemi
- Sanmi Odelana
After nine 9 games the result were as follows:
- 1. Ogbogu Azu scored 7 points with a spread of 818
- 2. Aka Toke scored 7 points with a spread of 530
- 3. Clement Ikolo scored 6 points with a spread of 353
- 4. Adeyemi Abiodun scored 4 points with a spread of -193
- 5. Wale Fasina scored 3 points with a spread of -29
- 6. Ajayi Kunle scored 3 points with a spread of -443
- 7. Adegbesan Koyejo scored 2 points with a spread of -126
- 8. Bruce-olotu Fidel scored 2 points with a spread of -286
- 9. Sanmi Odelana scored 2 points with a spread of -624